Chicken Rice (ข้าวมันไก่ 2 อย่าง)

by - June 17, 2013


Like many people, my family loves chicken and chicken is always on our dining table. My kid and I like our chicken fried, while my husband likes his chicken boiled or steamed. So every time I prepare chicken, I need to cook it in two different ways. However, I really don't mind. 


So today I prepare steamed rice with fried chicken and steamed chicken. They were oh so yummy. There was a sweet aroma in the firm and moist rice and the chicken was juicy tender and crisp. All in all, it is just chicken and rice but it is really satisfying and I believe you would love it. 

I did tweak the original recipe a bit, first, instead of boiling, I steamed the chicken, because my pot isn't big enough to boil the whole chicken. Second, for the sauce, I added red miso instead of fermented soy bean paste( tao jiao, เต้าเจี็ยว), because I can't stand the smell of  fermented soy bean paste and whenever the recipe calls for it, I would substitute with  miso. Am I weird or what??  Anyway, I was very pleased with the texture as well as the taste of the sauce. My husband, who is my taste tester, gave his seal of approval. I think I would make this again very soon.   

Below is my Chicken Rice recipe, try it out it's seriously delicious. 

Ingredients 
2 chicken thighs (each weighs about 280 grams) 

for the marinate 
3 cloves Chinese garlic
15 black peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon sugar 
2 teaspoon Thai light soy sauce
2 tablespoon rice flour 
20 cc. water 

for the sauce
2 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
1 tablespoon chopped Chinese garlic
1 tablespoon red miso
3 tablespoon shoyu 
1 tablespoon lime juice 
3 teaspoon sugar 
3 red chili peppers, sliced thinly

Thai sweet chili sauce (for fried chicken)

for the rice 
3 cups long grain rice 
2 slices of ginger 
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 cloves Chinese garlic, chopped 
1 teaspoon salt
Preparation
1. Pound the garlic and the peppercorns until becomes smooth paste.  Marinate one chicken thigh with it and the rest of the marinate ingredients, cover and let sit in the fridge over night. 

2. Heat the wok with 2 tablespoon of oil, add in ginger and garlic, stir fry until is fragrant. Remove from heat, add in rice and salt, mix well. Marinate the rice for 30 minutes. 
 3. Transfer the rice to the rice cooker, add in chicken stock until the water level reaches number 3, then cook it. 
4. Meanwhile, take the chicken out of the fridge, deep fry until golden crispy. 
 4. When the rice is almost ready, steam another chicken thigh until is cooked. Mix all the sauce ingredients in the small bowl. 
5. Cut the fried chicken and the steamed chicken into bite sized pieces and served over the rice. 

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Looks SO flavorful and delicious. Chicken rice is my husband's favorite and he got me addicted to it too. :)

    ReplyDelete