Nam Prik Goong Sod Moo Sub (Shrimp-Pork Chili Dip)

by - November 19, 2012

RIMG3003

Before I was introduced to the wonderful sushi and authentic Japanese cuisine, I could hardly grab the idea of  food without chili.  At my home in Thailand, all meal was accompanied with Nam Pla Prik (a combination of fish sauce, lime juice and chilies) . My friends and I usually spiced up our noodles, fried rice and even porridge. I was always fascinated by the flavor of all type of hot sauce and I thought non spicy food was brand and boring. So a bowl of fresh Nam Prik, Chili Dip, would be made and served, whenever I cooked Thai food. 

Today I am going to share with you Nam Prik Goong Sod Moo Sub, Shrimp-Pork Chili Dip, recipe.   The dish combines four main tastes of Thai cuisine, sour tamarind, hot chili, salty shrimp paste and sweetness added by palm sugar. The ingredients are mixed and pounded with mortar and pestle.  

If you are never exposed to the spice side of life, don't fret. This savory- spicy chili dip is not fiery hot, it is only comfortably hot, I am sure you will love it.   

Ingredients
Yields 3-4 serving Clock 40 minutes
100 grams shrimp, shelled, cut into small pieces
100 grams ground pork
1 tablespoon palm sugar 
1.5 tablespoon sugar 
1 tablespoon shrimp paste (kapi) 
4 red chili peppers 
15 cloves Thai garlic
1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate 
vegetable oil for stir frying 
Preparation
1. Parboil shrimp and ground pork. Set aside. Disregard the water. 
2. Pound garlic and chilies until they are broken into tiny pieces.  
RIMG2953RIMG2954
3. Add in shrimp paste and palm sugar. Mix and pound until they form thick paste. Add in sugar and tamarind concentrate.
4. Add in parboiled ground pork and shrimp. 
RIMG2957RIMG2958
5. Mix well. 
6. Heat up your pan with some oil. Stir fry the dip for 20-30 seconds. 
7. Remove from heat. Serve with steam rice and fresh or boiled greens. 
RIMG2960RIMG2961

You May Also Like

0 comments